WHO WE ARE
The Ontario Archaeological Society
is a registered charitable organization that promotes the ethical
practice of archaeology.
Ontario's historic and prehistoric resources are continually being destroyed by urban, commercial and industrial development.
The general public, students and professional alike are encouraged to become members of the Society and to support its co-ordinating role in helping to record and preserve our non-renewable cultural heritage.
- To bring together individuals
interested in the practice, promotion and advancement of archaeology,
particularly in the province of Ontario.
- To encourage and assist every effort, both individual and
collective, which tends to foster, elevate and advance archaeology in
the fields of learning and culture.
- To discourage illegal archaeological investigation and
- To facilitate the exchange of ideas and information, and to
encourage co-operation among all those interested in the study of
- To publish archaeological literature and site reports.
- To stimulate the interest of the general public in archaeology.
OAS AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- J.V. Wright Lifetime Achievement Award
- The J. Norman Emerson Silver Medal
- Ian Kenyon Memorial Award
- Tim Kenyon Memorial Award
- Peggi Armstrong Public Archaeology Award
- Killarney Award for Outstanding Service
- Award for Excellence in Cultural Resource Management
- Award for Excellence in Publishing
- OAS Student Paper-Poster Award
- Heritage Conservation Award
- Valerie Sonstenes Student Research Fund
- 25 Year Members
- The Ridley Lecture
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
front row-left to right: Sheryl Smith, Lindsay Foreman, Chris Dalton, Dana Millson
back row-left to right: Jim Montgomery, Grant Karcich, Nicole Brandon, Rob MacDonald, Lorie Harris, Bill Fox, Peter Popkin
Absent: Claire van Nierop, Neal Ferris
President: Rob MacDonald
Vice-President: Sheryl Smith
Past President: Neal Ferris
Treasurer: Jim Montgomery
Director of Member Services: Lindsay Foreman
Director of Membership: Dana Millson
Director of Chapter Services: Chris Dalton
Director of Heritage Advocacy: Peter Popkin
Director of Public Outreach: Claire van Nierop
Director of Avocational Services: Bill Fox
Director of Student Services: Nicole Brandon
Director of Publications: Grant Karcich
Executive Director: Lorie Harris
Click here to read the 2013 Annual OAS Board of Directors Report
Follow this link to view and purchase a variety of items that support the work of the OAS.
Office located at:
1444 Queen St. E., Suite 102
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
(please call ahead to make an appointment)
Ontario Archaeological Society
P.O. Box 62066
Victoria Terrace Post Office
phone & fax: (416) 406-5959